How to Create a Conversation Quad
We love a conversation quad as an alternative to the more expected sofa or love seat plus chairs. An arrangement of four chairs facing a central coffee table or ottoman works well for square rooms, dens or as a secondary furniture grouping in a large open-plan space. The conversation quad creates the perfect intimate atmosphere for before or after-dinner drinks, sipping a coffee with a friend or lingering over a board game. Here are our top tips for getting the conversation quad right:
- Choose four of the same chair style for a no-fail tailored look.
- In smaller spaces opt for slipper chairs with a low back to leave sightlines open and create a sense of spaciousness.
- Opt for slipcovered chairs give the arrangement a casual feel; wing chairs would lend a clubby library mood and are great to bring intimacy to spaces with high ceilings.
- Measure your room and the chairs to make sure you leave at least 24 to 36 inches behind each chair for traffic flow.
- Arrange chairs in a tight group to create a symmetrical sightline from adjoining rooms.
- Hang a pendant light above to illuminate activities and to help define the grouping.
- Anchor the arrangement by choosing an area rug large enough so that all of the legs of all of the chairs are on it.
SHOP THE STORY
Four favourite chair styles to create a conversation quad.